Skip to main content

Life as a Consultant

I've been working as a consultant for the past 8 years. There are many consultants in the world, and they do a wide variety of different roles. But my job as an engineering consultant is to advise clients on how to improve their processes, engineering design, and so on.

Pros of Being A Traveling Consultant

In terms of work, I am most blessed to visit so many companies, and people generously share information with me, broadening my horizon. The generous sharing was of course so that I can help them as much as possible. But, when can you go to people's control room as an external person, and get to look at all their standard operating procedures (SOP), their control panels? Few will get that opportunity. Because my consulting company has a wide variety of clients, I've visited so many different factories (producing the weirdest thing to the typical things) in so many countries. Many don't get so much exposure as me. 

Office politics is minimal. For our clients, I'm seen as an outsider, and well, there's no need for politics with me. In my company, I 'm rarely even in the office. There's little politics, apart from nasty emails from people I hardly know. I have little feeling towards nasty emails since I don't see the person writing it. I just interpret it as poor writing on their part. 

As a consultant, pre- COVID, it was a jet- setting life. While many financial bloggers are talking about credit card hacks to gain as many points to take business class (ok, not for first class though. I've never taken first class), I've taken my fair share of business class flights (Emirates, Asiana and SQ only actually) for flights more than 8 hours. Also, from the incredible amount of travel I have done (during peak period, I'm on the plane every alternate week), I have so many Krisflyer miles for upgrades to business class or simply free flights. No need any hack. But, I  started being sick of traveling in recent years. I haven't traveled for holidays for years. I had been clearing leave by staying home. I used krisflyer miles to exchange for ipads (and other stuff from Krisshop) - I know, people say it's get the least value per mile, but it suits me best.

From the many hotel stays that I had, I am able to exchange for free nights staying in suites for free. I've stayed in Le Meridien in Sentosa (good bye), and also W Sentosa's suite (go check out how much it cost) for free. I'm a lifetime silver member of Marriot Bonvoy and am midway to life- time gold. #notproudatall

Meals abroad are paid for. We don't get allowances for travel, just reimbursement for food, transport, hotel, airfares and other travel expenses. So, I have eaten loads of different great food. Hai Di Lao, Ding Tai Feng and so on? I've eaten them, overseas. Hairy crab? I get to eat how much I like, and it's not expensive in China (my clients will direct me to the right place). 

When I'm visiting clients based in Singapore, I take a cab to their factories. Grab points, comfort- delgro points? I have loads of them to exchange for my own free rides (e.g. when I need to go office, or simpy going out).

Of course, all this travel was pre- COVID. Now you must be thinking this is an excellent job, and you want to take it.  I've many friends who envy my job. But, I envy theirs.

Cons of Being A Traveling Consultant

I didn't mention the pros to brag. Instead, I want to show that for all the perks you get, there's a sacrifice to be made. It's just whether you mind the sacrifice. 

Firstly, health. When you are on the plane, do you know that you are subjected to high amounts of UV rays? In fact, while you are indoor, you need more sunblock on the plane (think- you are even nearer to the sun now!). When you are eating out so often, there is less control over the quality (and how healthy the food is). 

If you are not traveling, you get to celebrate birthdays, respond to emergencies, and so on. When you are overseas, it's hard. Even if you only have 8 hours working, the rest of the time you have, you can't go home. Yes, you can go round and see the sights of the country. I have been to Taiwan for business more than 20 times. Taiwan is great, many places to visit, but as a not very adventurous person, it's not so appealing anymore. 

Next, when you have kids, the time away from home is bad. To make up for the time I'm absent (and not able to teach them), I spent a lot of money on enrichment (which I could have taught). To manage the kids while I'm away, my partner give in to TV and screen time. 

So now, with COVID, there's little travel for consultants like me. Travel has been replaced with conference calls. For local clients, I still visit them. It seems I should like my job even more. You would say I should love my job now. 

But something in me wanted a change. Firstly, my company does not pay well. It justifies it with great benefits. But I prefer money.  My boss hasn't promoted me (ever since he had been my boss), and he'll tell me if I do A- Z, maybe the company will consider, but no guarantee. Then, they are thinking of sending us overseas, go for quarantine, then visit our clients. What are your thoughts on these? While it's not confirmed yet, to me, it's simply a matter of when. 

And I have my plans too

When COVID is finally under control worldwide, travel will resume. And I'm sure my company will make me travel every week to make up for the lost time. 

And for now, while the managers think of long trips with quarantine overseas, I want no part in it. Rather than stressing over what happens then, I bit the bullet.

Sometimes, we hang on to a job too tightly when it's no longer aligned with our values, thinking that we can't live without that job. But there's abundance in the world. There are many opportunities out there. It's just takes time and effort to uncover them. You just got  have patience and believe in yourself.

We have to let go of some things, so that we can let other things come. 

Cheers!








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After 2 years of Sabbatical from Work, THIS IS IT!

I took a sabbatical from the corporate work back in end 2021. It's going to be my 2-year anniversary for my sabbatical. But , it's time to get serious earning money full-time. Here's why... Meeting Passive Income Objective I haven't been working, and my income was mainly contributed by my passive income from dividends/stocks . If it goes as it is, my passive income this year should be about $2000/ month , or about $24,000 a year. This is $6000 up from last year. Going at this rate, I should grow at $6000/ year. Just like GDP which is always reported as an increment rather than at absolute amount, so does passive income growth, doesn't it? The amount of cash that I have, has slowly been used for invested. And to meet the growth target, it's basically increasing the returns, putting more into the investments, or both. At my comfort level, I'm going with increasing the amount invested. This means finding fresh funds. A full-time job should solve this problem

I worked NOT in 2022 - Here's my income report and lessons learnt

It's late January of 2023, and while it seems a bit late to talk about 2022, it's probably a year where I should pen down because it's different from the rest.  2022 was a year where I worked not at all since I graduated, and I wanted to pen my thoughts. For curiosity sake, I typed in my topic into the chatGPT, and this was what it gave: Well, how do you find ChatGPT's year? I would rate ChatGPT's response as highly excellent. If I were some student writing some journal entry just to submit for as homework, I'll probably submit this. But while AI can help us with general task, it cannot be us, unless we feed in enough inputs for it.  So below is my version, of how 2022 was, a year where I worked NOT. My Income For 2022 Below is a chart showing my income for 2022. And they are broadly divided into 3 sources: Interest from bonds (including the Singapore saving bonds, but excluding T bills), dividends and T- bills. My Income for 2022  The 6 months T-bills become

Passive Income Report YTD and Plans forward

I worked not this year, and here's my income for the first 3 quarters of 2023: My income comes from 3 sources: Interest income from T bills,  Interest income from bonds (which includes Singapore Saving bonds and other retail bonds), and  Dividends (mainly from STI ETFs, with some other stocks). This year was an improvement from last year's income ( read here ), not because of what I've done this year, but from what I've  done last year - delayed gratification. Even more delayed gratification, was from the saving I accumulated since I started working.  Grateful to myself for having few material desires.  If $2000 is the minimum survival sum, I probably survived 62.5% of the time. If I average out the 8 months, I met the minimum survival sum on a monthly basis. My goal for this year is to hit $24,000 passive income, and with 66.7% of the year passed, I'm 70% there. June has been the best month to date, and as you can see, it's contributed mainly through intere