Skip to main content

Why I am using my SkillsFuture Credit for LEISURE This Time Round

I was reading this article on TodayOnline talking about using SkillsFuture Credits for work training, but those on 'leisure' courses will not be judged. After using the credits previously for work-related training, I am so sure that I won't use them for any work- related ones. I will use them for LEISURE. And this is why.

Skills Upgrading on Work-Related Stuff

Beyond Bachelor Degree

For me, as an engineer, something that is considered work-related is related to what I am doing now which include hydraulics analysis, risk assessments, and so on. If I want to upgrade myself in engineering using the credits, most likely I'll need to go for a Masters or PhD. In my field of work, whether you have a Bachelor, or Masters, beyond your first job, there is no difference. And, if you have a PhD, the boss with the Bachelor or Masters will be wondering why are you here.

Upgrading Engineering Skills

The best way to upgrade is to visit e-bookstores to read books and journals/ magazines (since they are more up- to- date). Meet up with people from the same industry and talk about what's happening at work.



Codes and standards change from time to time. Courses take time to be created. And you may be better- off learning to read the codes and standards yourself, and interpreting them. Don't really understand, then Google is THE teacher. The forums are a great way to read up (though may have some errors since everyone is new right).

Staying to date with technology

In terms of staying up- to- date with techonlogy, as a consultant in engineering, I use a lot of software. My company laptop is filled with different Apps so that I can run a calculation to do some estimations. For the upcoming relevant trends in technology applicable to my field of work, I at most need to know what there are out there (and if they are going to replace me), NOT how to use. There are many software to do one thing that I'm doing. Give an example, I do hydraulics calculation (in layman's term, what this means is to ensure what ever you need to move through the pipe has enough energy to reach its end point). I can do the calculation using pen and paper (will take a long time for complicated stuff), or excel (take as long a time to set up all the equations for complicated scenarios), or with software. When I type in Hydraulics software, I have so so so many on the web. Is it useful for me to get to know more than the software my company is using --- NO! Honestly,with so many softwares, my company change one of another almost every year. What I need is the flexibility to use the new software. This involves sitting down to read the manual and fiddling with it. As I'm a user of technology, what's needed is to know what's available in the industry and what they do.

Upgrading softskills?

How about soft skills for my job? Well, there are people in my company who are doing courses such as MBAs. And the irony is that most people in the managerial roles (and those up- and- coming), do not have an MBA. Those taking MBA or have MBA are those in non- managerial roles (well for now). Well, for me, I get loads of client interaction (both locally and overseas). And you know what? If I need practice on soft skill such as negotiation, just volunteer to meet the more difficult clients and try it out. Read up from books if I need different strategies. Free course.

Other work related areas?

Engineering consultancy is a department in my company. It's not the core. My engineering services are rendered as part of a full package. So, I had previously done an Advanced Diploma related to the core of my company's business. If I want to do the "core", having the certs are definitely sufficient to get me a job in the "core area" in other company. But, I will be considered a newbie, and hence draw a salary of about $3-4 k per month. That's my starting pay more than a decade ago, do I really want to go back there? It's the same as now you get to use mobile phone instead of relying on the telephone for communication. Do you want to go back to the time of using telephone? If there's something about me, it's the refusal to take a step back.



So based on all the factors above, using my Skillsfuture credit for work related training will not bring me get me a fatter paycheck, produce more job opportunities that I want, or make me less susceptible to being retrenched. And if that's the case, why should I use my SkillsFuture Credits for Work Related Training.


More importantly, going for courses is not the only way to to upgrade skills. A lot of skills upgrading can be done by self- learning, or self- doing, and Partnering with Google.


This time round, SkillsFuture Credit will be all about 'leisure'.

Go,  Judge Me! =p


Popular posts from this blog

After 2 years of Sabbatical from Work, THIS IS IT!

I took a sabbatical from the corporate work back in end 2021. It's going to be my 2-year anniversary for my sabbatical. But , it's time to get serious earning money full-time. Here's why... Meeting Passive Income Objective I haven't been working, and my income was mainly contributed by my passive income from dividends/stocks . If it goes as it is, my passive income this year should be about $2000/ month , or about $24,000 a year. This is $6000 up from last year. Going at this rate, I should grow at $6000/ year. Just like GDP which is always reported as an increment rather than at absolute amount, so does passive income growth, doesn't it? The amount of cash that I have, has slowly been used for invested. And to meet the growth target, it's basically increasing the returns, putting more into the investments, or both. At my comfort level, I'm going with increasing the amount invested. This means finding fresh funds. A full-time job should solve this problem

I worked NOT in 2022 - Here's my income report and lessons learnt

It's late January of 2023, and while it seems a bit late to talk about 2022, it's probably a year where I should pen down because it's different from the rest.  2022 was a year where I worked not at all since I graduated, and I wanted to pen my thoughts. For curiosity sake, I typed in my topic into the chatGPT, and this was what it gave: Well, how do you find ChatGPT's year? I would rate ChatGPT's response as highly excellent. If I were some student writing some journal entry just to submit for as homework, I'll probably submit this. But while AI can help us with general task, it cannot be us, unless we feed in enough inputs for it.  So below is my version, of how 2022 was, a year where I worked NOT. My Income For 2022 Below is a chart showing my income for 2022. And they are broadly divided into 3 sources: Interest from bonds (including the Singapore saving bonds, but excluding T bills), dividends and T- bills. My Income for 2022  The 6 months T-bills become

Passive Income Report YTD and Plans forward

I worked not this year, and here's my income for the first 3 quarters of 2023: My income comes from 3 sources: Interest income from T bills,  Interest income from bonds (which includes Singapore Saving bonds and other retail bonds), and  Dividends (mainly from STI ETFs, with some other stocks). This year was an improvement from last year's income ( read here ), not because of what I've done this year, but from what I've  done last year - delayed gratification. Even more delayed gratification, was from the saving I accumulated since I started working.  Grateful to myself for having few material desires.  If $2000 is the minimum survival sum, I probably survived 62.5% of the time. If I average out the 8 months, I met the minimum survival sum on a monthly basis. My goal for this year is to hit $24,000 passive income, and with 66.7% of the year passed, I'm 70% there. June has been the best month to date, and as you can see, it's contributed mainly through intere