Skip to main content

This is more important than cost, location when buying a BTO

Buying a home is a big purchase. Most people talk about location, mortgages, prices and so on when purchasing a BTO. But after applying for one, getting it, and forgoing it during the wait, I can be certain that locations, prices and so on aren't the key factors.

I applied for a BTO and got to select one many many years back. It was those days when BTO just took about 3 years, but the one that we end up choosing had a 5- 6 year timeline because of its height and also location. In terms of the BTO that we had gotten (and of course forgone years back), it was great. Location - checked. Price - perfect (you can't get a 5- room flat any cheaper in that location than a BTO. LOL), Facing - perfect (no west sun, and so on).  

So what? How perfect it was in price, location, facing and so on, I didn't get it at the end of the day. 

The timeline didn't fit my life and after a few years o waiting, I was seriously not going to waste my time waiting for it. I have a plan, and that home that I bought doesn't fit my plan. 

For those who think that living with parents/ in-laws is okay, consider seriously whether when you have kids in tow, can you all still live peacefully under one roof. If you have kids during this period, is there space to house a helper (or even a confinement nanny) if you bunk in in others' home?

For those that are thinking of renting, why not get a resale flat now? Anyway, if the BTO has a 5-6 year timeline, you would have completed the MOP by then. And if you are still eligible to buy a BTO by then, then sell your resale flat. You could potentially have negative or near zero rent if you manage to sell at (or above) the price you buy at (adding in interest rate and renovation). Maybe still cheaper than renting. (I'm not property expert, so please don't take my word for it. Do your own research. )

I find it funny that many people revolve their plans around the timeline of the BTO flat. (I was one funny person anyway). But seriously, you have your own life, which you should plan based on your goals in life, not the timeline of your BTO that you happen to get. You choose something that follow your timeline.

 

At the end of the day, you can buy a car to make up for the location.   

You can earn more to make up for the cost (of course choose something within your budget).

In short, you can always earn back the money that you spent.

 

But...

You can never earn back TIME.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After 2 years of Sabbatical from Work, THIS IS IT!

I took a sabbatical from the corporate work back in end 2021. It's going to be my 2-year anniversary for my sabbatical. But , it's time to get serious earning money full-time. Here's why... Meeting Passive Income Objective I haven't been working, and my income was mainly contributed by my passive income from dividends/stocks . If it goes as it is, my passive income this year should be about $2000/ month , or about $24,000 a year. This is $6000 up from last year. Going at this rate, I should grow at $6000/ year. Just like GDP which is always reported as an increment rather than at absolute amount, so does passive income growth, doesn't it? The amount of cash that I have, has slowly been used for invested. And to meet the growth target, it's basically increasing the returns, putting more into the investments, or both. At my comfort level, I'm going with increasing the amount invested. This means finding fresh funds. A full-time job should solve this problem

I worked NOT in 2022 - Here's my income report and lessons learnt

It's late January of 2023, and while it seems a bit late to talk about 2022, it's probably a year where I should pen down because it's different from the rest.  2022 was a year where I worked not at all since I graduated, and I wanted to pen my thoughts. For curiosity sake, I typed in my topic into the chatGPT, and this was what it gave: Well, how do you find ChatGPT's year? I would rate ChatGPT's response as highly excellent. If I were some student writing some journal entry just to submit for as homework, I'll probably submit this. But while AI can help us with general task, it cannot be us, unless we feed in enough inputs for it.  So below is my version, of how 2022 was, a year where I worked NOT. My Income For 2022 Below is a chart showing my income for 2022. And they are broadly divided into 3 sources: Interest from bonds (including the Singapore saving bonds, but excluding T bills), dividends and T- bills. My Income for 2022  The 6 months T-bills become

Passive Income Report YTD and Plans forward

I worked not this year, and here's my income for the first 3 quarters of 2023: My income comes from 3 sources: Interest income from T bills,  Interest income from bonds (which includes Singapore Saving bonds and other retail bonds), and  Dividends (mainly from STI ETFs, with some other stocks). This year was an improvement from last year's income ( read here ), not because of what I've done this year, but from what I've  done last year - delayed gratification. Even more delayed gratification, was from the saving I accumulated since I started working.  Grateful to myself for having few material desires.  If $2000 is the minimum survival sum, I probably survived 62.5% of the time. If I average out the 8 months, I met the minimum survival sum on a monthly basis. My goal for this year is to hit $24,000 passive income, and with 66.7% of the year passed, I'm 70% there. June has been the best month to date, and as you can see, it's contributed mainly through intere