Skip to main content

Why Ms. CEO has a New Business Department

Ms. CEO's organization has a number of departments. One of them is the new business department.

My current business is essentially the day job I am in. It serves me quite well, pay my bills, give my parents an allowance, feed me, and let me have occasional luxury, some savings -- but no house and no car though.

So, you must be wondering why I spend more time and effort having new businesses (or additional income streams),

https://pixabay.com/en/monitor-arrows-direction-incoming-140366/

How much side income is needed?

I want the side income to be able to cover my current expenditures.

I predict that I would need $4800 per month of side income, based on current expenditues.

As a side note, I will really suggest that all of you do an estimate of how much you need each month too. I was quite shocked when I see the figures, as I thought I didn't live an extravagant life. Well, the main expense would be the ILP that I bought. Luckily the premiums for one of them is due next May (though I get the value after another 5 years), and it will drop the ILP expense to $700, But I may be buying property soon, so this may soon be replaced by mortgage (and more).

So I guess, my aim is to work on how to build up a $4800/ month side income for 2016. Another side note, my current day job is my sole main income for now. Ops!

Why have new businesses (side income)?

Income Security

Yes, I am someone who feels very insecure easily, So having additional income will ensure that if something doesn't work out, I at least income from somewhere else. 

So the main reason for having new businesses (side income) is for income security. 

If you were to look at the amount I am targeting for side income, you will notice that I based it on current expenditure. 

Right now, I am putting all my eggs in one basket -- the day job paying for all my expenditures. However, as we get older, the chance of getting retrenched, and trying to find a job that pays equally may not be some simple. In addition, by being not held hostage by your day job to meet your daily expenses, work will become more enjoyable (I think).

For side income, most likely, you are the boss. The only difference is, while you will always be employed, you may not always get a salary (no business, no money. Simple!). 

So both the day job and the side income both have risks, but at least having alternatives to turn to is much better than being dependent on just one income stream, isn't it?


Diversify Your Skills

I am not thinking of working in the same line as my day job (for my side income). It is in the employment contract anyway, and I don't find it's fair for my company if I use the skills they have trained me in, for other jobs. Also, just like I don't like to have income from just one basket, I do not like to have skills from just one basket. If one day my current engineering skill is obsolete, then I will be obsolete too. Ya? Who knows, the skills that were developed from my involvement in my side income, may come in handy for future day jobs as well,

It's good to be master in at least one trade, and at the same time, be better than Jack in some other trades. 

See things from a different perspective

I am an engineer. And sometimes, working with people from some departments don't hit a chord. 

I mean it is common that for business background people, to be less concerned about potential safety issues, reliability, fit for purpose etc in general, and more concerned about dollars and cents. For instance, a sprinkler is a sprinkler for many (most don't think much about k- factor, temperature rating, etc.). As long as a place is protected with sprinklers, it's good. But some sprinklers cannot be used for protecting warehouse.

Well, while I can't ask people to see things from my perspective, perhaps I could learn things from others' perspective, and fully understand the true implications they are trying to convey.

How to start off with a side income?

I haven't started on it, and thus, not in a good position to tell you how. But in my blog, I will continue to share with you my progress in developing a side income (target $4800/ month) while holding my current day job. Hopefully, I will see the $4800/month in the near future.

Well, but my plan is to start off with what I am interested in or good at first. And work on scaling it progressively to meet $4800/ month . I also need to think of how much time it takes, since I do have a day job (so I can only work on weekends and after work).

I believe the most important thing to do is to research in these two fields:
- internal research to understand your strengths and interests
- external research (on what is currently viable, and what you need to do to achieve that).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

After 2 years of Sabbatical from Work, THIS IS IT!

I took a sabbatical from the corporate work back in end 2021. It's going to be my 2-year anniversary for my sabbatical. But , it's time to get serious earning money full-time. Here's why... Meeting Passive Income Objective I haven't been working, and my income was mainly contributed by my passive income from dividends/stocks . If it goes as it is, my passive income this year should be about $2000/ month , or about $24,000 a year. This is $6000 up from last year. Going at this rate, I should grow at $6000/ year. Just like GDP which is always reported as an increment rather than at absolute amount, so does passive income growth, doesn't it? The amount of cash that I have, has slowly been used for invested. And to meet the growth target, it's basically increasing the returns, putting more into the investments, or both. At my comfort level, I'm going with increasing the amount invested. This means finding fresh funds. A full-time job should solve this problem

I worked NOT in 2022 - Here's my income report and lessons learnt

It's late January of 2023, and while it seems a bit late to talk about 2022, it's probably a year where I should pen down because it's different from the rest.  2022 was a year where I worked not at all since I graduated, and I wanted to pen my thoughts. For curiosity sake, I typed in my topic into the chatGPT, and this was what it gave: Well, how do you find ChatGPT's year? I would rate ChatGPT's response as highly excellent. If I were some student writing some journal entry just to submit for as homework, I'll probably submit this. But while AI can help us with general task, it cannot be us, unless we feed in enough inputs for it.  So below is my version, of how 2022 was, a year where I worked NOT. My Income For 2022 Below is a chart showing my income for 2022. And they are broadly divided into 3 sources: Interest from bonds (including the Singapore saving bonds, but excluding T bills), dividends and T- bills. My Income for 2022  The 6 months T-bills become

Passive Income Report YTD and Plans forward

I worked not this year, and here's my income for the first 3 quarters of 2023: My income comes from 3 sources: Interest income from T bills,  Interest income from bonds (which includes Singapore Saving bonds and other retail bonds), and  Dividends (mainly from STI ETFs, with some other stocks). This year was an improvement from last year's income ( read here ), not because of what I've done this year, but from what I've  done last year - delayed gratification. Even more delayed gratification, was from the saving I accumulated since I started working.  Grateful to myself for having few material desires.  If $2000 is the minimum survival sum, I probably survived 62.5% of the time. If I average out the 8 months, I met the minimum survival sum on a monthly basis. My goal for this year is to hit $24,000 passive income, and with 66.7% of the year passed, I'm 70% there. June has been the best month to date, and as you can see, it's contributed mainly through intere